Saturday, February 15, 2014

Cookies with heart

Photo/Gluten Free Garden State

In honor of Valentine's Day, we've created gluten-free chocolate chip cookies with a holiday twist. These delicious concoctions were partly inspired by a request I received to share my opinion on gluten-free flours.

I have a wealth of experience with the Celiac lifestyle and that's why this blog exists.

In the 16 years I've been living gluten-free, flours have come a looooooonnnngggg way. No longer do we have to purchase multiple types of flours and xanthan gum to create merely a so-so baking flour. Attempting to bake with a "traditional" recipe was unheard of, since there really were no cup-for-cup alternatives.

Enter all-purpose gluten-free flours.


Some people create their own flour mixtures at home that serve well for baking and other purposes. However, many of us simply don't have that time or patience, and working with unfamiliar ingredients can be frustrating.

I buy the commercial all-purpose flours and have found them to work extremely well as a cup-for-cup alternative. They have allowed me to simply substitute gluten-free ingredients for traditional items in recipes. Thus, I have created some wonderful dishes and desserts, and enjoyed doing it.

Photo/Gluten Free Garden State
For the Valentine's Day cookies, I used Bob's Red Mill brand all-purpose flour. The texture was the best I've personally ever created with a homemade gluten-free cookie. They came out virtually the same as any "regular" cookie does. They weren't too dry, didn't fall apart and the flavor reached that MMMMM factor.

When available, I also purchase King Arthur flours, which create breads that are comparable to traditional versions in taste and texture. For pancakes and biscuits, Bisquick's gluten-free flour is such a great alternative that the non-celiacs in my household prefer it to the company's regular mixture.

These flours are staples in my kitchen. What do you use at home?

No comments:

Orlando Road Trip: Animal Kingdom

Gluten. Free. Churros. They are as delicious as they sound. Paired with vanilla and strawberry dipping sauces, they're heavenly. ...