Monday, December 15, 2014

A misguided Adventure

Photo/GFGardenState
I love a day spent at the Adventure Aquarium in Camden. Really, I do.

But unless I bring my own food, I just don't enjoy mealtime there.

As a celiac, there isn't much of anything available to be purchased on site. Sure, I can bring my snacks or lunch. And most often, I do.

However, I recently gave the aquarium's food offerings a try, and left feeling sucker punched.


Perhaps it was just hunger, but I was seriously disappointed. After all, I had done my research (or so I had thought) and consulted the aquarium's website for menu information, prior to leaving the house.


The description for the on-site Feeding Frenzy Cafe promises "something for everyone." Following a descriptive paragraph outlining all the types of foods available (pizza, cheeseteaks, popcorn chicken, baked potatoes, soups, etc.), it reads: "Special dietary requests can be made to a café attendant when you visit, and an ingredients listing is available to those with relevant dietary concerns. In addition, menu items are available for those with Lactose-free or Gluten-free diets."

Naturally, I asked two cafe attendants about the gluten-free options available to me. They did not present me with an ingredients listing. Instead, I was told I could order a burger without the bun. Nothing to replace the bun. Just a meat patty on a plate. At the regular price.

That was their only suggestion.

I quickly discovered that, for an extra cost, I could purchase a bag of chips, since some are naturally gluten-free. Or I could eat a pre-made salad with no dressing and half of the ingredients picked off (assuming I wasn't worried about cross-contamination, that is). I could've gone to a nearby snack stand and gotten ice cream instead.

However, based on what I had read, I was expecting REAL gluten-free options, and there were none. You know, like an Udi's bun or grilled chicken over rice. Just something that can be called a meal.

While I appreciate Adventure Aquarium recognizing the need to accommodate guests who require a gluten-free lifestyle, I feel the celiac community would be better served if no expectations are set. I would have gladly packed my own lunch had I known my lunch choices were so severely limited.

The rest of my group purchased lunch on site. I sat with them, trying in vain to quiet my hunger pangs with water. In the end, we left the aquarium earlier than planned so that I could be properly fed.

I try to be positive about efforts being made to provide options to celiacs, but this experience just reinforced my need to be vigilant with my meal planning and to always be prepared, even when I'm expecting to be accommodated.

I hope there are better gluten-free options at Adventure Aquarium in the future. Oh, I'll be back either way. But I'll be sure to come with a packed lunch.

No comments:

Orlando Road Trip: Animal Kingdom

Gluten. Free. Churros. They are as delicious as they sound. Paired with vanilla and strawberry dipping sauces, they're heavenly. ...