Saturday, September 7, 2013

Expo Hangover, Part 1

The first day of the Gluten & Allergen Free Expo is in the books, and it was a fabulous one.


Sure, my feet are aching from circling the Expo floor multiple times and I ate way too many samples. But, I met interesting people, was excited by some new gluten-free products and learned a thing or two in the classroom.

My day started off with other bloggers, and it was fun to see people in person who I had only "met" previously through social media. We all were treated to an introduction to Holy Crap cereal before the doors even opened to the public.

One of the first things I did once the Expo started was hit the beer garden. It was less about my love for beer and more about the fact that it was at the back of the convention floor and completely devoid of other people. I got to easily talk to the vendors and sample the wares.

Yes, I was throwing back beer at 9:15 a.m. So, what?! It was for research purposes. You'll thank me later.



Next, I moved onto the food vendors, seeking out pizza to go with my beer sample. I quickly discovered French bread frozen pizza from Gillians, which was the perfect complement to my beverage. It was thick with a crispy outside, soft inside, perfectly seasoned and topped with sauce and melted cheese.

That was followed by the hot beef, onion and provolone pocket sandwich from GlutenFreeda. This may have been my favorite item of the day, and it's cheesesteak-like texture and flavor sent me searching for another beer sample.

Like I said ... research.

Over the course of a few hours, I hooked up with a bunch of New Jersey-based vendors, which you'll learn more about in future blog posts. I ate soft, delicious sandwiches by Schar, sweet Italian cookies from Gees Gluten Free Imports, a divine chocolate muffin top by The Cakeover bakery, mouth-watering ravioli from Conte's Pasta and fantastic bread from Hoboken Farms. 

At one point, my feet and stomach needed breaks. That's when I checked into the on-site classroom for some educational programs. The topic didn't interest met at first, but I found myself taking notes during a talk on enzymes and how they relate to gluten intolerance.

My elation about the day also was boosted by the awesome swag. I collected a great deal of take-home samples from a number of generous vendors. Along with informational materials, I filled an entire reusable grocery bag.

Sure, it made my arm tired, but it was a good feel-like-I've-been-to-the-gym tired.

All in all, it was a great day with no complaints. I'm happy to have the tired feet and full belly too. In fact, I'm planning to go back for Day Two. And I'm bringing the Momager.

Just call it hair of the dog.

No comments:

Orlando Road Trip: Animal Kingdom

Gluten. Free. Churros. They are as delicious as they sound. Paired with vanilla and strawberry dipping sauces, they're heavenly. ...