Monday, September 9, 2013

Leaders of the pack

We tasted wonderful things at the Gluten & Allergen Free Expo, and were excited to find so many new and new-to-us products. Here's a list of 10 foods/beverages, in no particular order, that got us excited.

1. Ravioli by Contes Pasta: I've had these several times in the past, and they're awesome. Full of flavor, the pasta part has a nice texture that's moist without falling apart. I'm a cheese aficionado, so the seasoned ricotta is right up my alley. Sold frozen and heated in the microwave, the ravioli is packaged with tomato gravy. The props for marinara sauce, however, goes to Hoboken Farms, which is perfect for dipping in a piece of their gluten-free bread.

Photo/Gluten Free Garden State

2. Say Cheese! crackers by Van's Natural Foods: I didn't try these at the Expo, but brought home a sample to eat later, and I wasn't disappointed. The crackers are made with whole grains and have a nice crunch before practically melting in the mouth. And cheese (cheddar in this case) almost always makes it better.

3. Omission Beer: I sipped shots of brew from all of the beer vendors, but Omission's lager is one that stood out. It's full-bodied with a distinct taste that isn't bitter. This brand is crafted with traditional beer ingredients, using a process that removes the gluten. Bard's Tale Beer, which I already knew I loved, was another favorite at the Expo.

Photo/Gluten Free Garden State

4. Pocket sandwiches by Glutenfreeda: I never had an urge to try this product in the past, but having it cooked and laid out on a tray at the Expo gave me an opportunity, and I'm certainly glad I gave it a chance. The beef variety, made with onion and provolone cheese, reminded me of a good cheesesteak and was definitely one of the best things I sampled all weekend. It was flavorful, moist without being mushy, and the tortilla-like bread held together nicely. In between repeat samples, I also tried the chicken pocket sandwich, and that was very good too.

5. French bread pizza & garlic bread by Gillian's Foods: A new product that's just starting to hit the markets, this frozen pizza heated up nicely under a portable, rotating oven. The bread was crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. It had just the right combination of sauce and cheese, which melted together well. Gillian's also introduced its new garlic bread, which I skipped on my first go-around, but tried after it was recommended by another expo attendee. It was phenomenal. The same French bread was bathed in butter and seasoned perfectly with lots of flavor without being overwhelming, as garlic can be.

6. Cookies: There were several brands that stood out, in part for making me feel like I was eating a "regular" cookie. They included Vanilla Sandwich Cremes by Schar, K-Toos Fudge Sandwich Creme Cookies by Kinnikinnick, and almond Italian cookies provided by Gee's Gluten-Free Imports. I also discovered that Schar makes ladies fingers cookies, which was a gluten-free first for me, so it gets brownie points too.

7. Yogurt-covered pretzels by Glutino: I've seen these at my local grocery store, but the price had kept me away in the past. That will probably not be the case the next time I shop. The vanilla variety was offered as a sample on the first day of the Expo. Sweet and salty, it was exactly as delicious as I had remembered these types of snacks being in my pre-celiac diagnosis days. I admit that after trying one pretzel, I sneaked back a few more times for additional samples. 

8. Cake: A couple of bakeries had tasteless products, but I was happy with what I tasted at The Cakeover's booth. The piece of chocolate muffin was divine, and the cupcake sample had nice flavor and icing that wasn't overly sweet. Meanwhile, Namaste offered a tasty and moist spice cake that was surprisingly enjoyable. (It's not usually a flavor I'd choose.)

Photo/Gluten Free Garden State
9. Breads: Since there were so many breads, I only sampled about half of them and avoided those I've eaten in the past. Out of those I tasted this past weekend, my favorites were made by Luce's Gluten Free Artisan Bread and the Everybody Eats brand. Both reminded me of my favorite Italian breads that are crusty on the outside, and soft on the inside with a hint of flavor. I also enjoyed a freshly-baked bread with guava filling, but can't recall the name of the vendor. (If you know, please comment below.)

10. Bowl meals by Thai Feast: This was another surprising discovery. I often eat boxed, microwaveable Thai foods for lunch at work, but had never tried this frozen line. In fact, I didn't even know it existed. I sampled the chicken fried rice, the chicken pad Thai and the garlic black pepper chicken, and enjoyed them all for flavor and texture. While Thai food can be too spicy for me, these spices were just right. I'm planning to eat one for lunch this week.

In addition to what we loved, there were a few things that just didn't appeal to us. While we aren't naming those products here, the lack of a mention doesn't necessarily mean we didn't like something. Keep in mind, we didn't sample EVERYTHING offered for tasting (although it certainly felt that way).

We're open to alternative perspectives, so please post in the comments section with your opinions about foods sampled at the Expo.

No comments:

Orlando Road Trip: Animal Kingdom

Gluten. Free. Churros. They are as delicious as they sound. Paired with vanilla and strawberry dipping sauces, they're heavenly. ...