Saturday, June 7, 2014

Celiac Disease: Hereditary or something else?

This blog was started as a way to offer advice and opinions on food products and restaurants, and I am trained as a journalist to differentiate between my personal feelings and facts. I don't spout theories without evidence to support them or make assumptions about people.

With that in mind, I feel it would irresponsible not to bring some awareness to a POSSIBLE cause of so many cases of celiac disease. As many readers are aware, statistics show that celiac disease cases are increasing in numbers. Most people seem to believe better diagnosing and awareness are the reason, and I don't doubt there's truth behind that notion. I admit, when I was first diagnosed 16 years ago, I had never heard of Celiac Disease nor had anyone in my family. But I don't believe awareness and better diagnosing to be the only reason.


Celiac Disease is a known hereditary condition, and I have wracked my brain for the last 16 years trying to figure out which side of mine it might have come from. You see, no one else is my family has ever been diagnosed. No one. Sure, I have some close relatives with food allergies, and others with lactose intolerance, and they've been tested. But, NO ONE has been diagnosed, except for me. No grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, ancestors are suspected of having it either. It seemed to have just ... happened.


However, recently my father, a Vietnam vet, asked me and his other children for lists of significant ailments we've been diagnosed with over our lifetimes, as well as those of his grandchildren. Disregarding the common colds, flus, and other viral or bacterial illnesses that most people catch from one another, the lists were, well, interesting. In just looking at mine, I see ailments that most of my friends have never had or dealt with, including celiac disease and thyroid cancer.

What my father wanted to do with our lists was to compare them to one published by the Children of Vietnam Veterans Health Alliance, which is collecting data in an effort to statistically link illnesses to Agent Orange exposure. According to the alliance, their list is comprised of many ailments being reported by the offspring of military veterans who were exposed to this highly toxic herbicide. ... I was shocked to see everything on my list also appears on their list. Everything. After closing my jaw, I realized it makes sense.

While the organization is not directly claiming that celiac disease is caused by Agent Orange, as it is still being researched, the possibility of a link is certainly thought-provoking and, in my opinion, absolutely worthy of study. I've been doing further reading about this possible link and have discovered I am in the appropriate age range (20-45) and place in the birth order (first conceived after exposure) that coincide with the highest probability of being affected by Agent Orange.

But let me be clear: I also am not prepared to blame Agent Orange for my development of celiac disease ... not yet anyway. Remember, I deal with facts. This writing is simply meant to allow others the opportunity to consider the possibility, and to encourage fellow "Agent Orange babies" to come forward with information about their own health issues.

I'd like to hear from anyone, for or against this possible link, who has a story to share or evidence that lends weight to support or debunk it. I want information.

The COVVHA wants to hear from you too. You can find them online here.

Think about it.

No comments:

Orlando Road Trip: Animal Kingdom

Gluten. Free. Churros. They are as delicious as they sound. Paired with vanilla and strawberry dipping sauces, they're heavenly. ...