Friday, September 20, 2013

Representin' Jersey

I was fortunate to meet many great people at the Gluten & Allergen Free Expo in Secaucus, earlier this month. Some were homegrown entrepreneurs. Others came from great distances. All were friendly, informative and offered tastes of delicious gluten-free foods.

The first part of this round-up focuses on the products and people of New Jersey. The second, coming tomorrow, showcases some of those from out of town. 





Photos/Gluten Free Garden State

These folks were pumping out a variety of samples, including Applewood cold cuts on their own GF baguettes, hot dogs on GF buns and various cookies. I was familiar with some of their products going in, but was happy to learn Schar also make GF ladyfingers. (Hellooooo, tiramisu!) Since I had Schar bread in my fridge at home, I went for the vanilla sandwich cookies, which I don't ordinarily purchase since I try not to eat too many sweets. They were divine.

Schar's headquarters are in Lyndhurst, Bergen County, and the company operates a second facility in Swedesboro, Gloucester County.

Added bonus: I met Miss New Jersey International 2013 Jenna Drew (aka Gluten Free Jenna) at the Schar booth. She's a celiac and a brand ambassador for Schar, as well as a nice person.


Conte's Pasta Company



Located in Vineland, Cumberland County, this company produces GF frozen pastas, including gnocchi, ravioli and stuffed shells, all in multiple varieties. I had eaten this brand for years, prior to being diagnosed as a celiac. I was ecstatic when I learned they were making GF foods too. In addition to pasta, they have a bake-in-a-bag pizza that's delicious. The cheese ravioli samples offered at the Expo were as tasty as the traditional line, and they were served with smiles. : )


The Cakeover



I'm a sucker for good cake and this dedicated GF bakery delivers the taste and texture we celiacs crave. I sampled pieces of a chocolate muffin top and a cupcake with icing. Both were yummy.

In talking with Alison, the business' owner, I learned that she is native of Russia who began creating GF baked goods due to food allergies/issues in the family. Many items on the GF menu also are dairy-free.

Located in Lake Hiawatha (part of Parsippany), Morris County, the relatively new bakery is stocked with a delicious assortment of cakes, cookies, tarts and other treats, as well as unique special occasion cakes. I haven't made a visit yet, but meeting The Cakeover folks at the Expo was the next best thing.


Hoboken Farms



This is another family-based operation who has first-hand knowledge about food allergies and gluten intolerance.The owner, Brad, explained to me that his son had severe reactions to gluten at an early age and has been living GF for a long time. The product line offered by Hoboken Farms, in Hudson County, was developed in an effort to provide the boy and others with quality food in an uncontaminated environment. 

Formed in 1992, the company specializes in breads and a to-die-for marinara sauce, called Big Red, which is found in Whole Foods and other area stores. The owners also operate a sandwich shop in Summit, Union County, where celiacs can grab a lunch of GF cold cuts a fabulous GF roll.

I'm in the area often and plan to visit the next chance I get.


Gee's Gluten Free Imports



As the name suggests, this business imports its products to Jersey, delivering to us delicious Italian goodies. A wide variety of GF pastas, cookies and candy can be ordered online through the web-based company out of Monroe, Middlesex County. Items also can be found at a handful of restaurants and bakeries in New Jersey and New York. Click here for the list.

I had to try the amaretto cookie that reminded me of my Italian grandmother and was not disappointed. Gilda, the owner, then suggested I try the almond cookie she was offering the masses. I agreed, intending to just take a small nibble, but was 'wowed' by the flavor and ate the whole thing instead.  



There are other great businesses in New Jersey that cater to the GF community. I was surprised more weren't in attendance, but was proud the Garden State was represented well by those who were there.
Good food, good people!


No comments:

Orlando Road Trip: Animal Kingdom

Gluten. Free. Churros. They are as delicious as they sound. Paired with vanilla and strawberry dipping sauces, they're heavenly. ...