Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Crunchy crumbs

Photo/GlutenFreeGardenState
Cooking is a nice mix of art and science, and it takes effort to find just the right balance. And it's all subjective.
I've tried multiple bread crumbs from several brands and in a variety of flavors. I've even made my own, using the ends of breads on hand and adding my preferred seasonings. They're put in my homemade meatballs and meatloaf, and for breading meats and veggies.
Until now, everything I've used has elicited a "meh" reaction, typically thickening a recipe while turning to mush. Flavor, or lack therof, has also been an issue.
But I recently discovered bread crumbs made by Metropolitan Gourmet of Parsippany, and I believe I've finally found what I like. Make that, love.


I made eggplant parmesan and it turned out, well, perfect. Or as close to perfect as I've imagined.
After each eggplant slice was breaded with gluten-free all-purpose flour, whisked eggs and Metropolitan Gourmet bread crumbs mixed with garlic powder and Italian seasonings, it was dropped in a thin layer of olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Thankfully, the bread crumbs held up, remaining adhered to the slices with the crunchy consistency I sought.
Once drained of excess oil, the slices were layered with marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese and a dusting of Italian seasonings. Piled three layers high, the dish was placed in the oven for further cooking.
Surprisingly, at least to me, the bread crumbs hadn't turned to mush by the time the eggplant parm was ready to be served.
Each bite elicited a crispy crunch within the gravy-melted cheese-eggplant concoction, and my taste-testing family thoroughly enjoyed this dish. I served it with steamed broccoli and gluten-free garlic bread, using sandwich slices I had on hand.
Honestly, the brand of bread crumbs were the ONLY difference between this "perfect" eggplant dish and my previous attempts, none of which I was all too thrilled about. For that reason, I recommend Metropolitan Gourmet bread crumbs for gluten-free cooking.

All reviews posted to Gluten Free Garden State are opinion. Please let us know if you agree or disagree in the comments section.

No comments:

Orlando Road Trip: Animal Kingdom

Gluten. Free. Churros. They are as delicious as they sound. Paired with vanilla and strawberry dipping sauces, they're heavenly. ...