Sunday, December 22, 2013

Totally baked

My Christmas baking marathon is complete, and I think I need at least a week to recover. I've prepared enough goodies (both gluten-free and not) for the army of relatives and friends I'll be seeing over the next week. Throw in a couple of store-bought treats, and we celiacs can't ask for anything more.

Here's a sampling of what's on our holiday dessert table:

Candy Cane Cremes: Made by Mi-Del, they are a limited edition version of the company's Oreo-type cookies. The box says they're "perfect for those with gluten sensitivity." I say they're perfect with a tall glass of milk or dunked in hot cocoa.

For those feeling a little more adventurous, try mashing up these cremes (or the traditional version), mix with cream cheese and roll into balls. Dip them in chocolate and refrigerate. Mmmmmm .....






Chocolate chip cookies & sugar cookies: Both baked using Wegmans brand packaged mixes. What I love about these cookies is that they don't easily crumble like so many other gluten-free brands, and the taste and texture are closer to "traditional" out-of-a-box cookies than any others I've encountered in my 16 years as a celiac.

On the downside, the Wegmans brand brownie mix didn't turn out so well. It was easy to work with, but came out of the oven half-overdone at the edges and half-undercooked in the center. I followed the instructions correctly, including oven temperature. However, I am guessing a lower temp might help in the future. The box does indicate that its uber-fudgy, but it was really more like pudding, and the the taste was too rich. A scoop of vanilla ice cream may salvage my brownie mess, but it will more than likely go uneaten.



Panettone: A staple at all Christmas gatherings with my Italian side of the family, panettone al cioccolato has not passed my lips since that fateful diagnosis. This year is different, thanks to Lyndhurst-based Schar.

For the unfamiliar, panettone is an Italian Christmas cake. My mother likes to spread a bit of butter on a thick slice or eat it plain. Our tradition is to have it with dessert, but I'm looking at it as breakfast.

So far, the box in my cabinet has remained closed. It will be opened like a proper gift on Christmas morning.

While it remains to be seen whether or not I'll enjoy this gluten-free panettone, I applaud Schar for delivering it to the masses. I have not seen any other gluten-free food manufacturer come out with it.



Muffins: I used the King Arthur mix and improvised to create delicious, moist banana muffins.

While my baked treats aren't always picture-perfect (see the lopsided muffin on the left), I judge by taste and texture. Luckily, these weren't intended to be given as gifts.

Taste and texture-wise, these muffins are awesome! Instead of going with suggested add-ins, such as nuts, dried fruit or chips, I took a risk and put in an equal amount of wet, mashed bananas, as well as a few shakes of ground cinnamon. I'm guessing the added moisture helped, but I know it certainly didn't hurt.

A non-celiac and I tasted them warm with butter lightly slathered on, and we both closed our eyes while savoring the first bite. It was soft and sweet without any tastes overwhelming the others. Even better, they didn't fall apart easily to the touch, like so many gluten-free products do.

King Arthur hasn't been one of my go-to brands, but perhaps it should be. Although this was the first time I've purchased one of its products, I've eaten goodies baked by others using King Arthur mixes and have always been impressed.


If you've tried any of these products or have another favorite, let us know your opinion in the comments section below or on the Gluten Free Garden State Facebook page.

No comments:

Orlando Road Trip: Animal Kingdom

Gluten. Free. Churros. They are as delicious as they sound. Paired with vanilla and strawberry dipping sauces, they're heavenly. ...