Friday, March 21, 2014

Soup-er side

Photo/Vitacost.com
I'm always on the lookout for new additions to my lunch, side dishes to go with my gluten-free sandwiches. They have to be nutritious (at least somewhat), taste good and help keep my afternoon hunger at bay.

I discovered Dr. McDougall's Pad Thai Noodle Soup through Taste Guru, the subscription service that mails a monthly box of six gluten-free foods at their choosing. The soup was a little too spicy for my taste, but I liked it. The broth was flavorful and infused with vegetables, and the noodles were cooked to perfection in the microwave at my workplace. It's taste, texture and convenience all scored points.

However, the Pad Thai Noodle Soup didn't earn a spot at the top of my regular roster of lunch items, for two reasons.


First, I just couldn't seem to get the broth and noodles to my mouth in one shot. A spoon worked best for the broth, but a fork was better for the noodles. It was awkward trying to get a nice bite with both elements, and I ended up alternating between utensils. And while the soup tasted good, it didn't "Wow" me enough to look past the logistical problems.

Which leads me to the second reason ...

There are simply other foods out there that I have enjoyed a whole lot more than this particular soup. I am particularly fond of well-blended soups, such as cream of broccoli or tomato bisque. I also like noodles, just not swimming in broth.

I recommend Dr. McDougall's Pad Thai Noodle Soup for people who like spicy foods and noodle soups.

No comments:

Orlando Road Trip: Animal Kingdom

Gluten. Free. Churros. They are as delicious as they sound. Paired with vanilla and strawberry dipping sauces, they're heavenly. ...