Saturday, August 23, 2014

Eating like a tortoise

If you hear growls coming from the Philadelphia Zoo, don't assume its coming from the lions, tigers or bears. The ominous sound can very well be coming from the stomachs of visitors with Celiac Disease.

There are many wonderful things about the Philadelphia Zoo. (Yes, the overhead animal trail system is pretty cool.) Unfortunately, the availability of gluten-free foods isn't on that list.

I consulted the park's dining options using the official Philadelphia Zoo app (also pretty cool) and had an idea going in that I was not going to be satisfied. The zoo acknowledges gluten-free options on its menus. However, those choices are pretty much relegated only to salad, which is what we witnessed the tortoises munching on.


While it's nice to know your options, or lack thereof, in advance, the fact that gluten-free lifestyles are acknowledged, but not better accommodated is curious. Naively, I assumed there would be something I could get to supplement my salad, and was mistaken.

Ironically, the zoo touted its expanded dining options earlier this season. In a statement to the press, the zoo's Chief Marketing Officer, Amy Shearer, said, “Dining is a key element of the guest experience, and as we continue to improve and innovate in other areas of the Zoo, including the revolutionary Zoo360 animal exploration trails, we felt it was important to elevate our food and beverage offerings." 

During my latest visit, stands serving ice cream (a filling food to fall back on) were closed. I even tried the Distrito food truck on site, which sells tacos and nachos. Although Distrito restaurants do accommodate celiacs, the small outpost at the zoo does not. Even the cheese it uses contains gluten, according to its staff. Bummer!

Thankfully, the Philadelphia Zoo does allow visitors to bring their own food. I typically carry my lunch when I go to the zoo and other public places like it to avoid going hungry, much like many other celiacs. I was simply unprepared to pack lunch this time. That won't happen again.

Luckily, I had a bag of Glutino pretzels on hand this time. That and a bland chicken Caesar salad, minus the croutons, held me over for a little while.

We left when the growling started up again.

No comments:

Orlando Road Trip: Animal Kingdom

Gluten. Free. Churros. They are as delicious as they sound. Paired with vanilla and strawberry dipping sauces, they're heavenly. ...