Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Surfside Morning

Photo/GFGardenState
I love discovering small businesses that cater to the gluten-free community, and a recent pit stop in Surf City did not disappoint.

Finding an open coffee shop in a post-Labor Day shore town isn't always easy. Consider the Surfside Coffee House on Long Beach Boulevard a rare oasis.

A small shop, it serves gluten-free Udi's bagels with the standard toppings or as part of a breakfast sandwich. I chose the egg, cheese and Canadian bacon bagel sandwich, and it really hit the spot. As with any good breakfast sandwich, each part was cooked they way they should be and each flavor stood out. Prepared by owner Linda Cerillo, it was also crunchy, gooey, sturdy or chewy all in the right spots. 


Any concerns I had about ordering a gluten-free product went out the window when I learned this shop has knowledgeable owners and staff. The woman (I'm sorry I didn't get her name) who took my order said she also has celiac disease, and one of the owners is registered dietician Nicole Cerillo, Linda's sister and the celiac program manager at The Kogan Celiac Center at Barnabas Health Ambulatory Care Center in Livingston.


Photo/GFGardenState
Adding to my delight at the acquisition of a gluten-free breakfast sandwich on a slightly deserted island is the extensive selection of other celiac-friendly products sold at the Surfside Coffee House. One wall was filled with a variety of snack bars, granola and cookies from the likes of Udi's and Enjoy Life Foods. In a pinch, one can also purchase gluten-free pasta to cook at home. 

In season, the shop sells gluten-free rolls for sandwiches, as well as muffins, doughnuts, cookies and brownies from behind the counter. An organic juice bar is available during the summer, too.

Earlier in my morning, I had searched high and low in neighboring Long Beach for a suitable place for my morning fix. As a celiac, I didn't quite trust the local doughnut shop to offer anything gluten-free, and three other local shops were closed.

I found the Surfside Coffee House after consulting the Find Me Gluten Free app on my mobile device. The drive to Surf City from Long Beach was slightly off my intended route, but the detour was worth it.

No comments:

Orlando Road Trip: Animal Kingdom

Gluten. Free. Churros. They are as delicious as they sound. Paired with vanilla and strawberry dipping sauces, they're heavenly. ...